What you will find here

This is a place to examine plans filled with hope; plans which promise a refuge from chaos; plans which will shape our futures. Veterans with and without PTSD, Pentecostal Presbyterians, Adjudicated Youth, and Artists-Musicians-Writers: I write what I know. ~~~ Evelyn

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

When the World says, "These drugs will take an edge off your depression."



Jeremiah 31:13 (New International Version, ©2010)


13 Then young women will dance and be glad,
   young men and old as well.
I will turn their mourning into gladness;
   I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Anti-depressants are the most widely prescribed drugs in the US today. Everyone goes through ‘doors of despair’ and ‘bubbles of grief’.  Sometimes properly prescribed anti-depressants can help you walk through these horrible times.

One of my favorite songs is “It Won’t Rain Always.”  No one is a stranger to sorrow.  It is a normal part of being alive.  You need to experience it; embrace it; feel the scope and sequence of it; and release it and go on with your life.  Once you intimately know sorrow, grief, and despair, you become stronger.  You realize it does not last forever.  It passes naturally and then you can be filled with gladness.

When the world says, "These drugs will take an edge off your depression,"
God says, "I will turn your mourning into gladness."

Heavenly Father, there isn't a part of me that doesn't hurt.  Everything aches, everything weeps, everything sobs in the darkness of my heart.  If I could just make it all go away, nothingness would be better than this.  But you whisper to me in my grief that all this blackness will be changed into glory.  I'll be happy again.  I'll smile and the smile will feel good and someone will love me again.  You'll do this for me, God, I know you will.  I trust you.  As dark as it is now, you will make it light.   You'll turn this mourning into gladness.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment