What you will find here

This is a place to examine plans filled with hope; plans which promise a refuge from chaos; plans which will shape our futures. Veterans with and without PTSD, Pentecostal Presbyterians, Adjudicated Youth, and Artists-Musicians-Writers: I write what I know. ~~~ Evelyn

Friday, October 26, 2012

Silent Courage

Silent Courage
Sung to “The Water is Wide”or “As the Hart Longs”

The laundry's done, the chicken's fed,
The cows are milked, kids put to bed.
I sit alone, the darning's done.
What joy to me to know the war is won?
My lover lies beneath the soil
Of some uncharted ancient world.
The battle cry did lure him off,
And now he hears me not when I call.
"Oh Brave and True!' cry one and all,
And still my baby will not sleep.
His father's smile he'll never see,
And Death alone found victory.
Merciless, Seductress War,
How men do blindly follow thee!
What lusts have you to offer them
To steal them from their families?
I've heard it said, 'Brave are the men
Whose strength and might destroy all foes.'
I tell you this, that isn't so;
How is it brave to cause such pain and woe?
For though the man girds sword and shield,
And so, with friends goes off to war,
The woman feeds his crying child,
And silent courage waits behind each door.



Songs and Stories from A Filker’s Companion to Bedina’s War

No comments:

Post a Comment